Sunday, March 17, 2013

Self-hating Jews need to look in the mirror

Dear friends,

One of my friends shared this status written by Idan Raichel. It moved me so much, that I had to share it. He describes his feelings about the unfortunate phenomenon of what we call "self-hating Jews"- in other words- Jews who will do everything and anything to come out against the Jewish people and encourage everyone to act against us as well. I am very passionate about this issue and it hurts me greatly when one of my own turns themself into our own worst enemy. Without further adew, Idan Raichel's Facebook Status update: 
Hi It’s Idan writing to you again, Shavua Tov (have a good week). I wanted to tell you something:(Translated to English by David Azulay ) 
     Six months ago I stayed at a roadside motel in California. It was in the desert, with nothing really around. I was there for business and around the evening time I had nothing to do so I went outside to the motel courtyard to read or just to rest and relax.
On the first evening I overheard two men speaking in Arabic to each other. They were maybe 25 or 28 years old or something like that, I asked them where they are from and they said that they are officers in the Egyptian Army and that they are in the US for training. I told them I’m from Israeland they flinched a little and tried to stay away a bit.
     Later on 5 or 8 more officers joined them and we started a rolling conversation about Israel, which they never visited and they said that because of their position they probably never will. They had never spoken to an Israeli before, and they were really interested to find out about our culture and day to day life in Tel Aviv. I felt like I’m talking with the Elite of the Egyptian society. I can’t really explain why but these conversations were triggering within me the same emotions that I feel when I talk with an Israeli Navy Seal or Special Forces, a bunch of men with deep moral values.
     Those Egyptian officers were really knowledgeable about many Israeli military issues. They knew everything about Raful, the Bar-Lev line, the Dakar Submarine, Ariel Sharon, Moshe Dayan, Itzhak Rabin, Israeli Tanks, Israeli Fighter Jets and more. They talked with much appreciation about the Israeli sophistication and strength and with great and deep patriotism about Egypt and its moral power, in their opinion.
     On the last evening, one of the officers, who looked to me like the salt of the earth of the Egyptian society, told me: “Idan, it is very important to me that you know that our parents fought in the war that you call The Yom Kippur War, and that they were good soldiers. It is important to me that you know that before we are soldiers, and before we are Egyptians, we are first very devout Moslems, and that we interpret the Quran in a very different way from what you see sometime in other countries in the Middle East in your neighboring nations and countries. It is important for me that you will know that our parents and we were always happy when one of your war machines got hit by us, we were always happy when an airplane got shot down, and we were happy when a tank got blown up or when one of your sea vessels got hit. BUT NEVER, EVER were we happy about the loss of human life inside that tank, we were never happy about the death of the mother’s son who was flying that airplane and we were never happy about the death of the brother who was sailing that sea vessel.”
     I listened to the Egyptian officer and I thought to myself, “Rejoice not when your enemy falls”, the same values for us and for the best of them.
     I’m writing these lines because I was horrified to hear that a woman,probably from the radical extreme Israeli left, wrote that she is happy about the Israeli helicopter training accident, a crash last week that led to the death of two of our finest men. This miserable woman is a disgrace to ourcountry, and people like her are the bottom of the Israeli society. There is nothing good in them, nothing Jewish or Israeli, and it will be good if we will repudiate them from our society.
I’m dedicating the last shows of the Idan Raichel Project tour to the memory of those two pilots, who are without a doubt the Elite of the Israeli society.
Shavua Tov,
Idan Raichel

No comments:

Post a Comment