Friday, February 22, 2013

Blazing the Trail in Texas


This week I began my speaking tour of the Southern United States with StandWithUs. Here you can find more information on my tour: Israel Soldiers Stories. I will be blogging my experiences every day or two as I tour around, meet new people, and share my story. This is the first part of my journey as we started our tour through The Lone Star State. 


As I drove south along the stretch of the I-45, I realized I was in a very different place. Endless plains of flat land seem to stretch for miles and the occasional ranch providee a nostalgic view of cattle as they grazed- I worked in a Dairy Farm at Kibbutz Ein Harod in Northern Israel after my army service. As we round one of the bends, I saw an enormous 60 foot sculpture standing tall among the trees. Must be Sam Houston, I thought to myself. 
Speaking in Houston

Welcome to Texas, where everything is big. I'd never been to Texas before, and my mind kept replaying the scene in the movie "North" (starring Elijah Wood) where he ended up in Texas at a huge house, with huge people, and a huge smorgesbord of BBQ after running away from his parents. The next time I saw cattle grazing I just couldn't take my mind off of, well,  lunch.

Our first stop on the tour was this past Sunday, February 17th. The Jewish Community of Houston was hosting a "Yom Limmud", or 'learning day' for the entire community. 1,200 Jewish people gathered at Beth Israel congregation for an intensive day of studying and strengthening their identities as Jews. Orit and I were scheduled to speak to three groups- two adult groups and one teen group.

I'd never shared my story with total strangers before, and I was excited for my first speaking event. Well let me tell you- it just flowed. My words somehow wove themselves into a beautiful canopy of emotions, experiences, and love. I felt myself embracing my crowd, and I felt their love in return. I offered the crowd dates that I brought from Israel, which added an extra level of sweetness to our experience together. 

During the question and answer time, the topic that drew the most attention was the introduction of a draft for the Haredim (ultra-Orthodox) into the military. The community was very well versed in Israeli politics and was following developments closely as the Israeli government forms its coalitions. At that moment, everything I felt about the Diaspora was confirmed: Israel belongs to the Jewish people, and we have a mutual responsibility for one another. We wrapped up our speaking events in Houston and drove north to Dallas, where we were scheduled to speak to young Jews at the  Moishe House (MoHo) in Dallas the following day. 


MoHo Dallas Photo: Jason Leach
Dallas is a cosmopolitan city, often dubbed by its residents as the "Liberal Pocket" of Texas. All I needed was a Whole Foods to confirm and I was ready for business.  We went for lunch and was joined by Vida's Filipino family (Vida's my awesome handler with StandWithUs), Vida's friends, and a friend of mine for lunch at Cindis- a New York Style Deli. A hot pastrami sandwich later and I was in heaven. The lunch discussions included the usual "How did you get to the army? What did you do? Why did you decide to move to Israel?" It was an intriguing discussion and we invited our guests to join us in the evening. We wrapped up and prepared for our event at MoHo.

MoHo was awesome. 30 young Jews took time out of their lives to come hear Orit and I speak about our experiences in the IDF. One of the big challenges the Jewish community in the US faces is how to involve the young generation in connecting with Israel. I was so honored that I had the opportunity to have an evening to share my story and talk to my American counterparts about Israel and their concerns. In the question and answer session, a girl said "I'm Jewish, but I'm not really involved in Israel nor do I keep up with it. I don't have time to read four newspapers a day, so what can I do to stay updated?".

I asked her what her passion was, and she said "Low-income families, poverty, and bringing people out of it". I told her about the Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel and the community gardens that they foster in low income communities throughout Israel. This wonderful initiative gives local at-risk youth and residents a worthy cause to rally around, and forms bonds in the community that never before existed. 
Community Garden in Beer Sheva, Israel
I continued on to share with the rest of the group that there are thousands of NGO's in Israel that operate on the very same issues in society that they are passionate about. If you are reading this and find yourself in the same boat, I'll say the same to you now: Define your passion and look for a parallel organization in Israel. Become involved with that organization-  follow them on Facebook, sign up for their newsletter, donate to a project, or regularly visit their website.

Days one and two of my tour drove home the importance of the Jewish community coming together, educating eachother, and sharing in the mutual responsibility that we all have towards eachother and the State of Israel. 


Days three and four saw included events at McNeese State University in Lake Charles, LA and with Aggies for Palestine at Texas A & M. Stay tuned for those posts, which will come over the next couple days. 

2 comments:

  1. Drew!

    I am so glad to find you here. (I'm a well practiced facebook creeper. LOL)

    You, Orit and Vida just visited LAMB, and it was such a blessing. Keep up the good work, and my prayers are with you ladies to finish the good work that Hashem has laid on your hearts to do.

    As my daughters Marah and Elizabeth sung to you last night, I realized to an even greater degree the extent to which our longing for peace--among each of us, and for Israel--truly is the cry of our hearts, and grows with each passing year. May He bless your endeavors greatly~

    Shalom & keep in touch!
    Allison Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Allison,
      It was such a pleasure to be with you. I just shared my post about Purim so please feel free to read and share. Blessings to you!

      Delete