Friday, January 6, 2012

Day Trip to Beit Zayit

Day Trip to Beit Zayit (Jerusalem) 
"Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white." - Mark Jenkins

Stairwell to Nowhere, Jerusalem Forest


As I set out from the hustle and bustle of Tel Aviv on a cold Tuesday Morning, I prepare myself for what will be a "hike" through the Jerusalem Forest behind the neighborhoods of Givat Sha'ul and Har Nof. I'm not sure what will await me, but I'm ready to take on the challenge.

We arrive at a bakery, adjacent from one of the largest flour mills in Israel. The building is reminiscent of an old, colorless Eastern European structure from the Cold War era. Our group gathers and sets off for Beit Zayit, a Moshav outside of Jerusalem. 

Our path is through the forest of the JNF's "Jerusalem Forest" trail. The trail is filled with an abundance of holy fruit- carob trees, almonds, olives and figs. I close myself off from the rest of the world and connect with the beauty that is often overlooked in nature. As I make my way, I see power lines running through the valley. A perfect scene, plagued with the reminders that we have developed ourselves to the point that even a forest cannot fight back with its own beauty. 

And yet, I keep thinking of my happy place, a green meadow with trees and flowers. I wait for it to come, yet as I wander into the unknown I can only rely on my imagination to bring me to my connection with the universe. And then as I turn the bend, I arrive. 

Meadow

As I appreciate the sense of calm around me I am drawn to the beauty of a little cone, 
Pine Cone
one of which I would usually kick to the curb in an urban setting. I pick it up,and at once see the swirls of magic that God has created in this little vessle for spreading seeds of the earth. 


We continue on our way, towards Beit Zayit, coming closer to our end destination. I see homes in a small village, something reminscent of a quaint mountain town, teeming with serenity. On each corner is a plant, a tree, a connection with the Almighty. Shades of reds that come from the earth dot the village.


Street in Beit Zayit
As we arrive at our final destination, an organic meal awaits us, based on grains, vegetables, and fruits. Atop a camp fire is an old style iron pita taboun. Each person takes some dough, shaping their pitas and setting it on the fire. For me, my first plain pita wasn't anything special. I needed to fuse the tastes of my journey. As I put my second  pita on the taboun, I added sea salt, olive oil, the flesh of a tomato, and vision. Half way through my pita fell into the fire, but I just dusted it off,  flipped it over, and cooked other side. 


Home Made Pita
Little did I know, when my pita met the earth and ashes of the fire wood, it was no accident. As I took my first bite, the earth had infused my creation with hers. Each bite brough forth the crisp, fiery flavors and smells of the living earth, and I was at one with my source. 





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful musing... you've made me want to return to Israel...

    ReplyDelete